Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Wednesday September 12, 2007

Gas: 2.86

Vger is driving me nuts. Anything over 1/3 throttle and the engine chokes. You can actually see and feel it, when I press the pedal past 1/3 the car starts slowing down, when I back off again it speeds up. Takes several miles and a downhill grade to get up to 60 mph. I've replaced the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, Fuel Filter, Fuel Injector. Timing is OK, Fuel pressure is OK, Compression is OK, no exhaust back pressure.

Frustrating. While the 2.5L is no racehorse, I at least used to be able to manage highway traffic, now I can't. Heck, the '92 Voyager can run circles around the 88 Voyager. Admitted, I haven't driven the 88 regularly lately. Back in April '07 the clutch blew, didn't get that fixed until June, then right after that (50 miles?) the timing belt blew, got that fixed and ever since it has been gutless. Checked the belt timing, it's dead on (because another mechanic put the timing belt on incorrectly on my Turbo causing Big Problems).

And, while I used to consistently get 22-24 mpg, I now get 18-20 mpg. Heck, the '92 Voyager gets 22 mpg rock solid with the same engine. So, I checked the spark plugs, maybe it's running really rich? Nope, the plugs (new after the timing belt was replaced) are almost bone white.

Fortunately, the Gladiator is still hanging in there, although the check engine light continues to turn on occasionally and it still needs a new heater core. Consistently gets 15 mpg.

Traded the A-C RC for an A-C WC. We have that running pretty good now, still need to sort out the charging system. Engine was frozen when we got it, took a lot of oil and a lot of bumping to get it loose, then had to remove and wash out the gas tank and carb.

Still haven't had a chance to work on the Pontiac's, probably won't now until next spring. I will need to drain the block on the 455 and add antifreeze. Need to do that to the 77 Catalina also. Had 29 degrees this morning, had to scrape the frost off the windshield.

Whups, gotta get busy, someone wants a vlan changed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment