Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday December 19, 2007

We won. The new network is up and running smoothly. The worst problems were those on Saturday, and by the end of Tuesday they were fixed and behind us.

I have a huge stack of network switches in 24 and 48, copper and fiber, gig and 10/100 ports, Intel, Avaya Cajun, and Extreme Summit, sitting around my desk. Still have more to fetch from the closets and still need to inventory them all for the trade-in. Next up: the Wireless Lan. We were going to start work on it this week, but after working approx 90 hours last week everyone decided to push that back until after Jan 1. I'm still working with the design engineers discussing options, but we won't get serious until Jan 3.

Gas. On 12/12 2.719, on 12/15 2.749, 12/18 (noon) 2.799, 12/19 (noon) 2.889. Must put gas in Gladiator on way home tonight, hoping that it drops back a little by then.

Hear there has been a bit of car trouble in Bemidji. RumJohn lost a window to vandalism and Cricky got a big door ding from a car sliding into it. All relatively minor PITA problems.

Just got back from paying my Electric bill. The Co-op isn't going to raise the rates for 2008, no, not at all. Instead, they are adding a "power cost rider" surcharge of .0064 to the bill. Means my bill will go up about $8 a month, but no, they are not going to have any price increases. The increase doesn't piss me off, well, I'm not happy about it, but what really pisses me off is that they say they are not increasing the cost of power. BULLSHIT!! They are, but they are just calling it by a different name, I suspect to avoid some regulation or maybe to make us feel good.

I can understand and accept that the cost of power in general is rising. I can accept that the cost of gasoline is rising. I can accept that that cost of electricity is rising. What I refuse to accept is the mind games they are trying to play with us. If you need to raise the price of the electricity, then say so and do it. If you are going to raise the price of gas, then do it. This bit about raising the price on Tuesday by .10 then drop it on Wednesday by .05 is ridiculous. Raise it by .10 and leave it there for a month or two.

Forgot to mention that Matt's tractor and plow are working pretty good now. We put a new (homemade) gasket on the pump and it leaks less. The pump casing has a crack and it weeps there, but in one hour plus of plowing it lost less than a gallon of oil. At $6 per gallon it's still cheaper than paying someone else to plow, and we can look at rebuilding one of the other two hydraulic pumps we have when the weather warms up. Besides, Matt's having a lot of fun with it.

I'm buying the neighbors tractor. When Roger got his tractor a couple of years ago I told him that if he decided to sell it I wanted a shot at it. It just looks like a tractor should look (in my mind). I don't even know what it is (I suspect that it is a McCormick W-6), but I like the way it looks. He has finally decided to sell, and I made my first payment on it last week. It is buried in the barn, all winterized and stored away, and I can't get it out until Spring, but I should have it paid for by then. Going to go look at it this weekend. When I heard that it was for sale I jumped first, didn't want to give him a chance to change his mind or let someone else have a shot at it.

Well, gotta get busy. Conference call coming up in a few moments on the SAN design we are working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment