Friday, February 19, 2010

Shoes - and Socks?

Went shopping with a friend last night for some new clothes for me.  I've been told that, when I buy clothes for myself, I tend to dress like a washing machine repairman, so I know that clothes shopping is not one of my talents.  So I brought a friend along whose fashion judgment I trust (among other things).

As part of my new wardrobe, I bought a pair of shoes.  My friend said "You need new socks also".  Hunh?  I already own about 20 pairs of black socks, whyinheck would I want more?

Well, I'm told (and, upon reflection it makes sense) that shoes and socks setup wear patterns so that your feet and shoes and socks all fit together.  When you upset the balance with a new pair of shoes the use of old socks that have been previously fitted to another pair of shoes will cause blisters to form.  So, best if you get new socks to go with the old shoes.

I have a pair of hiking/working boots that I almost never wear because they kill my feet.  I'm thinking I might buy a couple of pairs of socks and try them with just the boots and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment