Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Charts in PowerPoint, selecting series on top.

I'm building a PowerPoint Presentation that is full of line graphs, and some of the time, there are overlapping lines.

I'm comparing the activity of a single facility against national 50th percentile and 90th percentile benchmarks, and often, the 90th percentile benchmark is at 100% and our facility is also at 100%.

Excel, as well as the Excel embedded in PowerPoint, puts the last line item on top. In other words, if I have three line items like this:

My facility    100%
50th Pctl       60%
90th Pctl       100%

Then Excel calculates the top line first, then the next row and so on to the last row.

This draws the 90th line over My facilities line.

I could resort the data like so:

50th Pctl       60%
90th Pctl       100%
My facility    100%

and that would put the line for my facility on top, but I don't want to do this because it messes up other aspects of the project.

Here's what I figured out: Plot the "my facility" series on the secondary axis, because that gets calculated after the Primary Axis!

Here are the steps in PowerPoint.

First, enter your data

After you close the spreadsheet, your chart will look something like this:

Click on the series, the little blue tail to the left makes it easy.  On the right side, you should get a formatting option, select "Secondary Axis".  You may need to select "Series Options", then click on the chart symbol.
Now, click on the drop arrow and select "Secondary Vertical Axis Options".  Again, click on the chart symbol.  Set your minimum axis value (in this case, I chose "60" and maximum "100".  Click on the graph and select the primary axis and also set it to the same minimum and maximum values.

Last, click again on the secondary axis, select "Labels" and click "None".
Now, the target series will be on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment