Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Tuesday December 26, 2006

Oh my oh my oh my. Should have seen Jon's face Christmas morning. I don't know why I didn't have my camera ready, it was sitting right next to me. Gave Jon the Wii, last present under the tree. Now, Jon knew that Evvy and Matt stood in line 14+ hours to get one, he knew there were only 20 Wii's in stock, but what he wasn't told was that they were #3 in line. Jon's jaw almost hit the floor, he was so flabbergasted. He knew that he wasn't going to get one, but there it was! Evan (I think) got him Twilight Princess, Jon had that box setup and running in minutes. Showed us how to golf and bowl and box and how to play baseball and tennis, then loaded up TP and went to work. I think he will wear that TV out before he gets done.

The Wii is a remarkable piece of hardware. A small box about the size of a CDROM drive for a PC, just a little bit bigger, with ports on the back and one side. A small sensor about 1/4" tall, 1" deep and 9" wide that sits under (or on top) of the TV. And, of course, the remote. And it works! I was kinda skeptical at first, but it took just a moment to setup the box, included telling the Wii whether the sensor was above or below the TV set, and away it went. And you can aim the remote at your target and shoot it down, swing it like a bat and hit the ball (it only senses whether your swing is fast or slow, it cannot sense whether you are swinging high or low, darn it.), when you pitch the ball you can put spin on it and throw a curve ball or a slider. When bowling you can put spin on and throw it hard, or you can give it a gentle push down the lane. I wanted to try F-Zero, but Jon says that I need the regular Nintendo controller for that, the Wii controller is not backwards compatible. I was hoping.....

Jon also started giving our family the official announcement yesterday, but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it yet for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment