Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday May 6, 2007

Puppet Strings
Randy Stonehill 1976


I can't keep from mourning for this topsy-turvy world
With all its strife and pain,
Mourning for the lost and the desperate children
Who can't remember their names


And I can feel it in my soul
Now the end is getting near
I can hear the devil laughing
And it's ringing in my ear


Long ago He chose us to inherit all His kingdom
And we were blessed with light
But wandering away we disobeyed Him in the garden
And stumbled into night


And I can feel it in my soul
Now the end is getting near
I can hear the angels weeping
And it's ringing in my ears


We are all like foolish puppets who desiring to be kings
Now lie pitifully crippled after cutting our own strings


But God said I'll forgive you I will face you Man to man
And win your love again
Oh how could there possibly be a greater gift of love
Than dying for a friend


And I can feel it in my soul
Now the end is getting near
I can hear the devil laughing
And it's ringing in my ear


We are all like foolish puppets who desiring to be kings
Now lie pitifully crippled after cutting our own strings
Cutting our own strings...


I've been forcibly reminded of this lately, I really do feel like a puppet who cut his strings.

The fact is, everyone is a puppet, but who is the puppeteer? Is it God? Is it wealth, fame, success? Self-reliance (pride)?

I know who mine is, and who it should be, and the two don't always align. Unfortunately, in the final analysis, there are only TWO puppet masters: God, and Satan. And a puppet cannot have two opposing masters.

"Oh God, please untangle and retie my strings and let me rejoin the Great Dance in the celebration of your creation."

No comments:

Post a Comment