Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cold - and busy

Don't have much time, but if I don't get some of this down I will forget it.

On Sun 1/11 gas in GR was 1.949, in Bemidji it was 1.799. Yesterday 1/12 in GR gas dropped to 1.899.

Last Wednesday 1/7 I changed the oil (as I mentioned I was planning in the last post) to Wal-Mart SuperTech 5w-30. Having the oil filter remotely mounted on the fenderwell is very nice. I need to get a coffee can to add to my toolbox to put under the filter when I change it. The oil oil was very thick. Oil pressure went waay down with the new oil.

On Saturday 1/10 I changed the oil and filter again. It was very black (as expected). I put in Wal-Mart SuperTech 5w-30 Synthetic this time. Oil pressure is still very low. At cold start oil pressure is about 50 PSI. At warm idle, maybe 5 PSI. At highway speeds warm it runs about 20 PSI. I'm guessing that the engine probably needs bearings, need to investigate further.

I'm planning on changing the oil again, probably next payday. Since it doesn't appear to be using any oil yet I will most likely go to either Mobil1 0w-30 or Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic and see what happens.

I changed the temp sending unit on Saturday also. The temp gage still fluctuates wildly. I need to get an OBD scan tool hooked up and see what the computer is actually seeing.

Found two wires chopped and looped around one of the thermostat housing bolts when I changed the thermostat. Had to chop the wires off, the nuts and wires and stud were too corroded to remove properly. I put a crimp on lug on the wires and grounded it on another bolt. I need to get a wiring diagram and find out what those wires are for and where they are supposed to go.

Picked up an AC Compressor pulley bypass at O'Reilly's. It's a Dorman part. Unbolted the seized up compressor, bolt the idler pulley in (it's a LOT harder than it sounds!). Put the new Serpentine belt on. Much quieter, and looking at the old belt I note that I was NOT seeing the worst parts of it. It was missing some serious chunks.

Haven't fixed the doors or hinges yet. The hinge pin press from Eastwood arrived yesterday, the hinge spring compressor from Eastwood should arrive tomorrow. So, maybe this weekend.

Got to do something about the doors. We had -30°F this morning.  Drivers door was frozen shut.  Other doors were locked, and the key wouldn't go in the keyhole.  I've kept Vger plugged in, so I drove it this morning.  It's -18°F right now.  Hope to thaw the door enough to find out how it starts tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment