Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hasn't slowed down yet - and won't for weeks

Received two new racks in the server room at work today: One from HP with 15 servers already installed; the other is our new EMC NS20 Celerra with 20 TB of drives installed:



L-R: Jim K, Jim J, the new NS20, and myself

Drove Vger today for the first time in over a week. I've gotten lazy: I didn't do a proper systems check before I put the car in gear. I don't have to use the brakes to stop at the end of the driveway, it's uphill to the road. I don't have to use the brakes to stop at the end of the road, it's uphill to the pavement. The first place I have to use brakes at is when I get to Hwy 2. I came screaming up to the intersection, hit the brakes, and was sure I was going to die: the pedal went to the floor. Fortunately, I was already downshifting (I LOVE manual trannies), and there is just enough brake pedal to hold the car in position. I still need to make it back home tonight. Then I have to figure out what has happened. The red Horizon had no brakes the last time I tried to move it a couple of weeks ago; it has an automatic trans, so I noticed the problem right away and it never left the parking spot.

Blazer: Hasn't used any oil, but haven't had a chance to upgrade from the Wal-Mart oil yet. Bought plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last weekend, but had a touch of a stomach bug and with the sub-zero temps never got to install them. Matt and I did get new hinge pins installed the weekend before on the driver door, it still sags seriously, but not as bad as before. We also rebuilt the bottom of the door with foam. The problem with the hinges is that the pins had gone thru the bushings and had worn into the hinges themselves, so the bushings are actually slopping in the hinges. I see three options: weld up the holes, get new hinges, get used doors. I'm holding out for complete doors. Since it also needs new window tracks I think that would be the best way, just need to find decent doors at a decent price.

Really need to change oil in the transmission, transfer case, and both diffs, as well as a chassis lube. Also, it badly needs at least 2 tires and a spare. Thought I was going to get them last Saturday, had an appointment at 10 AM at Warba Tire to get two used tires and a rim, but by 11 AM the store was still closed, so I gave up.

Rear brakes do not appear to be working, so I will need to open them up soon, but after I get a couple of other cars to be road worthy.

Gotta get busy configuring the NS20.

No comments:

Post a Comment