Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Foot update

This morning I saw the guy that will be fitting my orthotics. He took a cast of my feet by carefully pressing my feet down into some styrofoam-like substance, similar to the stuff that flower arrangers use. As he pressed my feet in he rotated and rearranged my foot and ankle so that the cast now has a shape that should be similar to what my arch should be like.

A couple of interesting items. He asked if I sprained my ankles a lot when I was a child, I said yes. Damage to the ligaments and tendons of the foot and ankle can cause problems like mine. He also noted that because I have walked 'funny' for so many years I will be starting to exercise new parts of my body that haven't seen activity before. Odds are good that I will be in rehab at least a couple of times to learn how to exercise and stretch the appropriate muscles and tendons and that I will be in some pain until things start to shape up.

Three to four weeks before the orthotics are ready. In the meantime I am going to walk as much as I can with my schedule because I'm sure there will be some down time while I get used to the new regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment