Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lamentations 3:1-40

I have suffered much because God was angry. He chased me into a dark place, where no light could enter. I am the only one he punishes over and over again, without ever stopping. God caused my skin and flesh to waste away, and he crushed my bones. He attacked and surrounded me with hardships and trouble; he forced me to sit in the dark like someone long dead. God built a fence around me that I cannot climb over, and he chained me down. Even when I shouted and prayed for help, he refused to listen. God put big rocks in my way and made me follow a crooked path.

God was like a bear or a lion waiting in ambush for me; he dragged me from the road, then tore me to shreds. God took careful aim and shot his arrows straight through my heart. I am a joke to everyone-- no one ever stops making fun of me. God has turned my life sour. He made me eat gravel and rubbed me in the dirt. I cannot find peace or remember happiness. I tell myself, "I am finished! I can't count on the LORD to do anything for me." Just thinking of my troubles and my lonely wandering makes me miserable. That's all I ever think about, and I am depressed.

Then I remember something that fills me with hope. The LORD's kindness never fails! If he had not been merciful, we would have been destroyed. The LORD can always be trusted to show mercy each morning. Deep in my heart I say, "The LORD is all I need; I can depend on him!" The LORD is kind to everyone who trusts and obeys him. It is good to wait patiently for the LORD to save us. When we are young, it is good to struggle hard and to sit silently alone, if this is what the LORD intends. Being rubbed in the dirt can teach us a lesson; we can also learn from insults and hard knocks.

The Lord won't always reject us! He causes a lot of suffering, but he also has pity because of his great love. The Lord doesn't enjoy sending grief or pain. Don't trample prisoners under your feet or cheat anyone out of what is rightfully theirs. God Most High sees everything, and he knows when you refuse to give someone a fair trial. No one can do anything without the Lord's approval. Good and bad each happen at the command of God Most High. We're still alive! We shouldn't complain when we are being punished for our sins. Instead, we should think about the way we are living, and turn back to the LORD.

(Contemporary English Version)

1 comment:

  1. I feel u have come a long way and have started to turn your life around and things are finally starting to go your way. Just have faith and luce ur life the way u want to and enjoy it like it was ur last. Things will go ur way in time. Your a good friend and they are hard to come by. Keep ur chin up and be happy life is what u make it.

    ReplyDelete