Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday January 21, 2008

Had a very trying day today. Got our WLAN setup with security for the business network. Security means that you need to come see me to get a certificate installed to validate your device on the WLAN.

One of the things we want to do with our new & secure WLAN is setup wireless VoIP phones. I even have a device that is capable of this feat, a Pocket PC 6700 from UT Starcom. First, I went to Avaya's website and downloaded and installed their Softphone for Pocket PC. That was easy.

Now to configure my device to connect to the network I need to download and install the certificate. I copied the cert to my PC and then used (Vista) Sync Center to transfer it to my Pocket PC. Then, I opened File Explorer on the Pocket PC and clicked the cert. "Invalid Certificate". Crap, it worked on my PC.

I started to research. Seems that by default Windows Mobile 5 is locked and WILL NOT import "self-signed" certificates. OK, so I went to the M$ website and downloaded the SmartPhoneAddCert.exe program. Still says "Invaild Certificate". Found a RegHack for the Pocket PC, that didn't work. Then I finally found a blog by Mark Mulvaney at sbslive.spaces.live.com with the correct procedure:

1. Import the Certificate on your PC. You can do this by copying the cert to your PC then doubleclick the cert. It will pop up a screen that should give you the option to "Install Certificate", do it using the provided wizard and accept the defaults (unless you know better).

2. Start, Run "certmgr.msc". Browse thru the window to find the certificate (you do know what it is called, right???). Right click on the cert, select "All tasks", then "Export". Accept all the defaults and make note of where you store the new *.cer file.

3. Copy the *.cer file to your Windows Mobile 5 device. Open file Explorer and click on the *.cer file and it should import it successfully.

Now I still have one problem. Even though the certificate is installed I still cannot connect to the network. I will work on that one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment