Tuesday, November 25, 2008

SVCHOST errors cont.

I'm continuing to have problems with the svchost process crashing, so I continued my research. So far, the most helpful website I have seen is http://www.huguesjohnson.com/svchost.html. I took a hint from his writing and disabled the System Event Notification Service. Well, that didn't stop it (didn't really expect it to). In reading the event logs I did see that the errors followed the successful load of "Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service". I'm not using WMI so I have disabled that. Also, one (just one!!) of the errors references the acgenral.dll; all the rest say "unknown module". AcGenral.dll is part of Application Compatibility, not sure what the connection is. I also updated to the current Java since it seemed as though the errors would come up on certain web pages, no change yet. I have disabled System Restore and it's services, we'll see what happens.

Gas in GR was at 1.899 when I got off work yesterday 11/24.

Hip O Select is the online store for Universal Music Group. I wanted to order a limited edition album from them, the website said (still does) it was in stock for immediate shipment. Well, two days after I ordered it I got a backorder notice (but the website still says it is in stock for immediate shipment!!). I've seen enough of that crap, so I asked them to cancel the order. It took 3 days, but they have finally acknowledged and canceled the order. It's a lousy website. I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon.com and its wonderful Customer Service.

Well, it still crashes. I've rebooted twice since the last entry. For entertainment I' have disabled the server service. I typically disable it on workstations, but it is enabled here because this PC shares resources. If that doesn't work I need to remember to bring home a copy of UBCD4Win.  I should bring it home anyways just to see if it shows me anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment