Sunday, April 6, 2008






Weather: SNOWWW!!!!!!. Wow. Started snowing about 10pm Sat, woke up this morning to about 6 inches of heavy wet snow. It's about 12 inches now, and still coming down hard. And it is wet and heavy. Doubt I will be able to make it to work Monday, the plow went by about 4pm and piled the snow at the end of the driveway about three feet deep, and it is still coming down.

Saturday was warm and sunny, temps over 50, I was working outside in t-shirt. Broke out the lawn tractor, got it running, and mowed some of the tall winter-kill grass around the yard. 30 degrees and a foot of snow is a huge change from 55 degrees and sunny, in one day.

Hard to tell in these photos from my cell phone, but in the top photo the drift is nearly as deep as the trash cans are tall. In the lower photo, I tried to see if I could force the Gladiator thru the snow down the driveway, but the snow packs so much under it that it got stuck after about 30 feet, took me a bit of shoveling to get it unstuck again. Although stuck is a relative word, It ain't leaving the driveway until we can dig it out, drifts in the driveway (can't see them in photos, but they are there!) are deeper than drift by house.

Computer: Brought the new laptop home to play with. Ran into a roadblock with XP, the HD Audio requires the KB888111 patch from M$ to work. The patch is a special download from Support. Found a few copies of it floating around the web but they didn't seem to work. Supposedly (haven't checked) the KB888111 patch is supposed to be included in SP3, so I will put the XP version of the Vaio on hold until after I get that slipstreamed.

Got Vista Enterprise working on the Vaio just fine now. Took a bit of tweaking to get everything working the way I thought it should. I used the Backup utility in Vista to create a baseline backup so I don't need to do that work all over again. Even blew it away and restored it, worked great. I'm now working from that restored baseline image.

I'm working toward installing a few of my pet programs (Firefox, VPC, FTP Commander, IZArc, Irfanview,etc), then I will make a working backup.

Cars: Last night Matt and I went and bought 5 8-hole, 8-spoke, 15" rims for the '65 F250. On the way there the speedometer on Vger quit working. By the time we got home it was after dark and it was starting to get cold and drizzly, so haven't yet had a chance to investigate the problem. And Vger was working so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment