Friday, September 5, 2008

Google Chrome

I like Google Chrome a lot, but there are a couple of changes I would like to see:

  • Installer:  Like most thing Google, you download an installer app that then downloads and installs the application.  I think the app needs to be self-contained or that at least there should be an option to do an "off-line" download.  I'm still using dial-up at home, and it is MUCH more efficient for me to download the app at work and then copy it to my home PC and install it.  That did eventually happen with the Google Toolbar, so I have high hopes it will happen for Google Chrome.

  • Google Chrome needs to be portable or have a portable version.  I think that where Google Chrome will really shine is when I can have it on my USB drive, plug it into any Internet-connected PC, and access my apps thru it.  And keep my personal data on my USB drive.


Things I have seen other people request and why I don't think they may be such a good idea:

  • I have seen others whining about the lack of Firefox Plugin support and how they miss their plugins.  Most of these plugins are (IMHO) things that would clutter up the "App-Front-End" feel of Google Chrome.  As long as I can have Jvm support and support for things like pdf's and flash and other "web standard" apps then I'm happy.  If I want toys I can always use Firefox or IE.  I want to use Google Chrome for my online apps.

  • I have seen others whining about the lack of support for the Google Toolbar.  I just can't understand that one, when you can navigate and search from the one place why add a second item to clutter up the interface?  And, it's not like the way IE is setup with the "Search From The Address Bar" option that I always turn off because it is sooo obtrusive.  M$ doesn't know how to do search; Google does and has come up with my answer 100% so far in searching from the nav bar.


Things i really like:

  • Searching from the nav bar.

  • The way I can control password saving.

  • The way Google Chrome handles downloads.

  • The uncluttered interface.

  • The useful error messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment