Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Too Much To Do - Still

At some point last week (Wednesday? Thursday?) gas went to 3.579. Of course, that was AFTER I filled all three vehicles with gas.

We got the red '89 Horizon on the road, sorta. I still think there is something wrong with the suspension, although it may just be the tires. And you can't fill the gas tank over 1/2 because it all runs out on the ground because of the rust through on the tank. A new tank, straps, and electric fuel pump will run close to $200; will have to try to get that budgeted. It runs and stops very good now. And, even after 6+ gallons of gas running out onto the ground from a 13 gallon tank, the trip odo shows almost 200 miles at 1/4 tank, so I think the economy will be good.

So, here is the to-do list for the '89 Horizon:

From www.rockauto.com

Fuel Tank Spectra Premium CR3B $76.79

Fuel Pump Airtex E7000 $82.79

Fuel Tank Strap Spectra Premium ST37 $17.11

Muffler Walker 18292 $37.79

Extension pipe Walker 44799 $9.64

Intermediate pipe Walker 42591 $5.25

3 muffler clamps 1-7/8 Walker 35344 $3.30

2 used tires $50

Alignment assuming nothing wrong! $50

And we don't have a key to open the hatch, but it can be opened from the inside by crawling thru the back seat.  The hatch lift struts are blown and need to be replaced, but I'm not going to worry about them ($10 ea) until after I get a key to open the hatch.

So far, my records show that I have spent $965 on this car, including full gasket set; brakes including Master Cylinder, tubing, shoes, hardware, hoses, wheel cylinders; water pump; wiper blades; MAP sensor; hoses; coolant; oil; timing belts; power steering belt; alternator belt; chemicals. That does not include the cash I paid for it originally or the cash I paid the neighborhood mechanic for the engine work or the cash I paid the neighborhood machine shop for the rebuilt head.

I'm not really sure it was worth it.

I STILL haven't started on the Gladiator body rebuild. I STILL need to pull the head off the '92 Voyager. I sold the 5 spd from the '83 Horizon to a guy that just needed the case. And I'm not even thinking about the '70 Ventura or the '69 Catalina or the '89 Voyager or the '89 Turbo Caravan, all of which I need to do something with before they rot into the ground. And Matt has the '65 Ford PU all torn apart in the middle of the yard right now.

September is right around the corner, and soon after the snow will start flying. And I still don't have a garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment