Wednesday, September 2, 2009

StrengthFinder 2.0

While at the Public Library last week I picked up a book titled "Now, Discover Your Strengths". The book was the result of MANY polls and MUCH research done by Gallup. It was a good read with some very good points, the biggest of which, in my opinion, is that people (and organizations) need to spend more time working from a position of strength rather than weakness.

For example. lets suppose that I can rate talent and work both on a scale of 1 to 5. I have a talent for X that is weak, say a 1. But If I work and practice I may get my strength up to maybe a 3. 3*1=3. OK, then let's say I have a talent Y that is very strong, a 5. If I work just as hard as I did with with X I can get my strength up to 5*3=15! So clearly, it makes sense to work on your strengths, and (get this!) partner with someone who is strong where you are weak!

The original book has now been replaced by "StrengthsFinder 2.0". There is an example in the new book of a person who had the ability to make 100 pairs of shoes per week, but because he had to spend so much time at sales and collections (which he hated) he only could make 30 pairs a week. So, he got a partner who was good at collections and sales, and focused on his natural ability to make good shoes and more than tripled his income.

Point being, what do we normally do? In my case, I'm not very good at relating to others. So, I get sent to classes to teach me how to manage and relate, both things I am not good at and dislike. And I get marked down in reviews because I don't have very good communication and delegation skills. What should be happening is that I should be able to partner with someone that has the skills I lack and let me focus on improving my natural talents of learning and thinking.

Here is the brief summary of my strengths in relative order; anyone that has known me very long will recognize these:

Learner: The excitement is in the process of learning.
Intellection: Likes meaningful conversation; eschews idle chit-chat.
Input: Craving to know more.
Deliberative: Think about things first.
Ideation: Likes to find new and better ways to do things.

By the way, this aligns with some freebie tests I've taken on the Internet such as the Keirsey and Myers-Briggs. However, to get detailed results you need to spend $30-$50 for the results. The "StrengthsFinder 2.0" book cost me less than $20 (including shipping) from Amazon.com and includes the Internet test (maxed out my Visa to get it, but figure it is well worth it). Yes, you can pay over $1500 on the website and hire a personal coach to work directly with you if you wish.

Next stage: Learn how to exploit my strengths and find someone who can cover for my weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment